The People’s Motion is an effort to request the MTA underground the section of the rail line from 48th Street to 59th Street – the final portion of the Crenshaw/LAX Line that is at street-level on Crenshaw Blvd. If the rail line is built underground in that portion the entire length of the line on Crenshaw Blvd would be constructed in a subway by bored tunnel, preserving and enhancing Los Angeles’ last African-American business corridor and protecting the safety of our children.
1. SHOW UP
- Join a collaboration of community, clergy and our elected officials as we request adoption of The People’s Motion at the April 26, 2012 MTA Board Meeting – 1 Gateway Plaza, LA 90012 Start time: 9 a.m.
- Buses will leave from the Crenshaw community at 7:30 a.m. RSVP by emailing [email protected] or call (323) 761-6435
- Wear BLACK shirts as a show of unity
2. SPEAK UP
Email the MTA Board and Elected Officials at [email protected] to request they:
Support The People’s Motion to create a Park Mesa Heights tunnel option for the Crenshaw-LAX Line.
Alternatively, you can fax (by April 25) a letter of support to (323) 761-6435 or mail (by April 22) to P.O. Box 432181, Los Angeles, CA 90043.
3. SPREAD THE WORD
- Announce the Showdown at MTA and hand out flyers at your block club, homeowners association, church group, civic association meeting, fraternity, sorority, etc. (contact us for a member of Crenshaw Subway Coalition to give presentation)
- Phonebank at 5349 Crenshaw Blvd, LA 90043 (Let us know you’re coming at [email protected]
- Wed 4/18 (5:30 – 8:30), Thu 4/19 (5:30 – 8:30), Sun 4/22 (4:30 – 8:30), Tues 4/24 (5:30 – 8:30), or Wed 4/25 (5:30 – 8:30)
- Join our Community Canvass to spread the word to neighbors on April 21 (gather at 5349 Crenshaw Blvd, LA 90043 at 10 a.m. and let us know you’re coming at [email protected])
- Social Media: Like our Facebook page and follow us on Twitter and share our videos (see our YouTube), posts, website, blogs with your friends
The People’s Motion Empowerment Kit
- Showdown at MTA Flyer (pdf)
- Take Action Flyer (pdf)
- The People’s Motion Overview (pdf)
- Crenshaw/LAX Line Overview Flyer (pdf)
- Guest Editorial: Rail Line Must Go Underground to Preserve, Protect Key Black L.A. Business Corridor, The Wave – 4/27/11 (pdf)
- Petition (pdf)
(Take Action image courtesy Shale Justice)