The People’s Motion is an effort to request the MTA underground the section of the rail line from 48th Street to 59th Street – the final portion of the Crenshaw/LAX Line that is at street-level on Crenshaw Blvd. If the rail line is built underground in that portion the entire length of the line on Crenshaw Blvd would be constructed in a subway by bored tunnel, preserving and enhancing Los Angeles’ last African-American business corridor and protecting the safety of our children.
1. SHOW UP
- Join a collaboration of community, clergy and our elected officials as we request adoption of The People’s Motion at the April 26, 2012 MTA Board Meeting – 1 Gateway Plaza, LA 90012 Start time: 9 a.m.
- Buses will leave from the Crenshaw community at 7:30 a.m. RSVP by emailing email@example.com or call (323) 761-6435
- Wear BLACK shirts as a show of unity
2. SPEAK UP
Email the MTA Board and Elected Officials at firstname.lastname@example.org to request they:
Support The People’s Motion to create a Park Mesa Heights tunnel option for the Crenshaw-LAX Line.
Alternatively, you can fax (by April 25) a letter of support to (323) 761-6435 or mail (by April 22) to P.O. Box 432181, Los Angeles, CA 90043.
3. SPREAD THE WORD
- Announce the Showdown at MTA and hand out flyers at your block club, homeowners association, church group, civic association meeting, fraternity, sorority, etc. (contact us for a member of Crenshaw Subway Coalition to give presentation)
- Phonebank at 5349 Crenshaw Blvd, LA 90043 (Let us know you’re coming at email@example.com
- Wed 4/18 (5:30 – 8:30), Thu 4/19 (5:30 – 8:30), Sun 4/22 (4:30 – 8:30), Tues 4/24 (5:30 – 8:30), or Wed 4/25 (5:30 – 8:30)
- Join our Community Canvass to spread the word to neighbors on April 21 (gather at 5349 Crenshaw Blvd, LA 90043 at 10 a.m. and let us know you’re coming at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Social Media: Like our Facebook page and follow us on Twitter and share our videos (see our YouTube), posts, website, blogs with your friends
The People’s Motion Empowerment Kit
- Showdown at MTA Flyer (pdf)
- Take Action Flyer (pdf)
- The People’s Motion Overview (pdf)
- Crenshaw/LAX Line Overview Flyer (pdf)
- Guest Editorial: Rail Line Must Go Underground to Preserve, Protect Key Black L.A. Business Corridor, The Wave – 4/27/11 (pdf)
- Petition (pdf)
(Take Action image courtesy Shale Justice)